2011年12月14日水曜日

Difference between Soap and Tsunami (English entry)

So it was our 3rd period of a long morning.

The teacher (young and native but I admit he makes a lot of efforts) probably saw us being tired, after 2 hours of lecture from the morning.

I am not 100% sure what he said cuz he said it all in Tamil, but I think he picked one student to tell us some joke. She didn't say anything.

So he started off, now in English.

He mentioned he read it on Reader's Digest - yes, it does exist in India.

"What is the difference between Himmamy and Tsunami?"

I felt "Oh no, it's NOT gonna be a good one."

I have never heard of such thing, but there is this soap called Himmamy or something (not Hamman).

He-mummy.

Tsu-na-my

Well, it is not too way off.

Students had no slightest clue.

So he gave us the answer.

"Himmami is a facewash, and Tsunami is TOTAL WASH."




He just made my day - one of the worst in 6 months. Thank you very much.

What's worse is, my classmates probably liked the joke.

I held it for 1 minute, maybe? and burst into tears.




If you know someone is from NYC, you don't make a joke about WTC and 9/11 to him, do you?

If you know someone is from West Sumatra, you don't make a joke about tsunami to her, do you?

If you know someone is from New Orleans, you do not dare talk shit about hurricane, do you?

If you know someone is from Fukushima, you don't start lecturing about all wonderful things about nuclear power to him, do you?

At least, I won't. Never, ever.

Am I wrong?



I guess I have to go through shit like this at the beginning of every semester. Been a very frustrating week.




練乳のような味のするおかし。2ルピー、4円なり。
イライラするときは甘いものに限る。




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿