2011年9月13日火曜日

10 years later, 6 months later - Okay, first English entry

Where were you 10 years (and 1 day) ago?

I was in my 3rd (last) year of high school. I remember watching on TV 2 towers, NYC in smoke, thinking it was a trailer for a new movie. I didn't even know the name of these two towers at the time. It was probably my first time to watch CNN on a Japanese channel. O well, some new movie. I went to sleep.

(I just went Wikipedia to see what happened that day in Japan. Typhoon, mad cow disease, some fire in Shinjuku...the Japanese media was busy with covering domestic news)

I read some article on paper yesterday which said something like the day did NOT change the world forever - given that the world is still full of problems and one-man-down does not mean we can sleep at night in complete peace. But I still think that day changed the world forever. It changed my world, at least.

The next morning, I was stunned to see what had actually happened on 9/11.

I was getting myself ready for studying in the US, from the following summer in September 2001. I believe I was still filling up appliction forms to 2-3 universities in California. 9/11 did not change my decision to go and study in the US, but it changed my grandma's stance on this: "Don't go, it's too dangerous" And of course, the US government had to change all the regulations for foreign nationals, including innocent students, right before I arrived in San Francisco. Duh.


Where were you 6 months (and 1 day) ago?

I was on the 8th floor of a skinny building in Kayaba-cho district of Tokyo. I was doing my temp job at a small travel agency. 8th floor, full of loose cabinets and computers. You figure what Magnitude 5+ does to it, if you have ever experienced a sizable quake.

It changed my life forever. I haven't got over all the horrifying moments I had that night, the next day, and...I should never forget that the moments are still ongoing. Anyhow I should not be writing too much about the quake because this just makes me feel...down. I haven't, personally, got over. And it is unlikely I and my people will, anytime soon.


Where were you yesterday?

I was attending this weekend seminar conducted by my MBA coordinator office. I was certain that they would have one of those "silent prayer" moments before doing ANYTHING yesterday. They did not bother. Or did they even realize that it was September 11th yesterday? Disappointing.

9/11 and 3/11 changed my world.
I am here, studying to change my life. I am here, studying so that I can change others' life.

For some reason I went ahead watched the "Last Lecture" clip on Youtube last night. I'd watched probably half in the past, but never finished it. (Oh btw I watched Steve Jobs graduation speech the other day, too) It does a thing to your head. I was pretty damn motivated to pursue my career and to become a happy person...on no other than Septemeber 11th. I wonder if it was an appropriate thing to do. Hmmm


Aghhhhhhhhhh

This posting is not going anywhere. Why did I start typing in English anyways...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Now my friend Noze has a company. I have a dorm mate who has the same day as Noze: 9/11.



They have this scary "cream" on cakes. I have no idea what it is.

Look how beautifully they decorate the thing:

Happy Birth
Day

Chan

You gotta love it.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


All my prayers to the victims of 9/11, and 3/11.
I am away from you, but my heart is always with you.
And Happy Birthday, Chan + Nozomi <3
You guys make the day a happy one.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Nice post, Miwa. 9/11 and 3/11 both changed my life. We all need reminders of what really matters.

    BTW, Don't be ashamed to pursue professional success. Just remember to keep things in perspective, and you'll do fine.

    返信削除